Our Class Blog:
A fantastic way to keep in touch with you teachers and class friends!
Home learning ideas
- Google Drive access log in information
- Google Drive Children’s Instructions
- https://www.oxfordowl.co.uk/for-home/find-a-book/library-page it’s access to a free eBooks collection, developed for children aged 3–11 years old.
- Maths Home Learning (White Rose Maths)
- Premier League Primary Stars
- ALPSIT Home learning pack
- Life Skills Challenge
- Follow this link for great ways to keep fit and active at home: https://www.getset.co.uk/resources/travel-to-tokyo/indoor-activity
- Resources for parents
Our year 1 team are:
- Mrs Reddin ( Class Teacher)
- Mrs Judge ( Teaching Assistant)
- Mr Rigby (one to one support)
- Miss Hughes (one to one support)
- Miss Jones (one to one support pm)
Welcome back to a brand new school year. The children look so smart and are settling well into year 1. We have lots of exciting lessons planned across the curriculum for the next seven weeks. The children are excited to start working hard again.
This half term our core texts is ‘One Day on our Blue Planet in the savannah’ by Ella Bailey, which is about a young lion cub and his life in the African savannah., The children will be researching animals that live in the savannah, character descriptions, recounts and story writing. So far the children have really enjoyed the text.
The children will have daily phonics to help them develop their reading skills. Please practise with your child at home and read as much as you can. At the end of year 1 the children will have a phonics screening test. I will be sending activities home soon to keep at home and practise regularly.
In maths we will be learning about place value, (within 10), addition and subtraction, shape and number (place value within 20). The children will have lots of opportunities to reason and solve problems. We will also be working really hard to practise counting forwards and backwards (within 100) and counting in 2s, 5s and 10s.
Come and See
In our Come and See our first topic is all about Family. The children will be learning about the love and care shown in families and that everyone belongs to the family of God. Our second topic is ‘Belonging’ where the children will learn all about the Sacrament of Baptism.
In science we are learning about animals, including humans. The children will learn about classifying animals into animals groups and, the different diets animals eat. The children will also learn about the parts of the human body and will have the opportunity to explore the five senses through simple investigations.
In history the children will be learning about Guy Fawkes and the Gunpowder Plot. The children will learn about the events on November 5th many hundreds of years ago and the plot to kill the king. So far the children are really enjoying these lessons.
- Snack is 50p per week
- Reading books are changed on a daily basis. Please ensure you read with your child as often as possible. Year 1 is an important year and their ability to learn to read and blend sounds is crucial.
- Homework- spellings will be given out every Monday in preparation for a test every Friday. Please ensure spellings are learnt at home every day.
- PE- PE days are Thursdays. The children can come into school dressed for PE in dark leggings or jogging bottoms, their PE top and school jumper and trainers. Pumps may be brought in and left in school with their names on.
Thank you for your cooperation, please do not hesitate to contact me if you need any further assistance with anything.