Our Class Blog:
A fantastic way to keep in touch with you teachers and class friends!
Our year 2 team are:
- Mrs Reddin ( Class Teacher)
- Mrs Linford (One to one support Assistant)
- Mr Rigby (One to one support Assistant)
- Mrs Tagoe (One to one support Assistant)
- Miss Smith (One to one support Assistant)
Welcome back to a new term. We have lots of exciting lessons planned across the curriculum for the next several weeks. The children are excited to start working hard again.
This term our core texts are ‘The Dark by Lemony Snicket, which is about a little boy’s story of how he overcame his fear of the dark. In the second half of the term we will be reading Lila and the Secret of Rain by David Conway and Jude Daly, which is about a young girl called Lila who lives in Africa and needs it to rain so the crops do not fail in her village. Both stories will provide a variety of writing opportunities such as letter writing, diary entries, character descriptions and some poetry. We will also be continuing with our ‘Read, Write Inc.’ lessons, including lots of phonics and reading opportunities. Please continue to read the books sent home with your child.
In maths we will be learning about Multiplication and Division, statistics, properties of shapes and fractions. The children will have lots of opportunities to reason and solve problems. We will also be working really hard to practise our 2,5 and 10 times tables.
Come and See
In our Come and See our first topic is all about Books.We will also be learning about thanksgiving and our final topic for the term is all about opportunities.
In science we are learning about uses of everyday materials. The children will Identify and compare the suitability of a variety of everyday materials, including wood, metal, plastic, glass, brick, water, rock, paper and cardboard for particular uses. They will find out how the shapes of solid objects made from some materials can be changed by squashing, bending, twisting and stretching (applying a force) and that some materials can be found naturally; others have to be made.
In geography the children will be learning about China. Children will learn about the geography of China through focusing on the main human and physical features of the country, extending children’s knowledge of the world. Children will learn about the geographical similarities and differences between China and the United Kingdom. Children continue to build on their map skills using atlases, world maps and globes more widely.
In history this term we will be learning about Transport through the ages. The children will learn about the development of travel and transport throughout history. Alongside consolidating the children’s understanding of chronology through using timelines and making comparisons between old and new forms of transport, the unit focuses on early travel methods of the Vikings, through to the invention of cars, trains and aeroplanes. It also looks at the significant individuals George Stephenson and the Wright brothers.
In music our units are ‘I wanna Play in a Band’ and ‘Zoo time’ They will explore the themes of songs, will practise how to sing and perform the songs and will also be learning how to play the glockenspiel for part of the song. They will also have the opportunity to perform as a whole class.
The children will be learning about Andy Warhol and ‘Pop Art’. The children will learn some facts about the artist, explore colour and design and print their own repeated image using images that are popular today.
Our topic in DT is food Wheels and Axles. The children will design a vehicle and design a simple axle mechanism. This topic links to our history topic of Transport through the Ages.
In computing we will be learning about how to create their own digital book using iPads and the computers. In the second half of the term we will be learning about online safety.
The children will be taking part in gymnastics and Striking and fielding games.
Our topic for this half term is ‘What helps us to stay safe’.
- Snack is 50p per week
- Reading books are changed regularly. Please ensure you read with your child as often as possible. Year 2 is an important year and their ability to read and understand texts is crucial.
- Homework- handwriting, spellings and times table homework will be given out every Monday to be returned for the following Friday.
- Every child has a mathletics password and a table rockstars password, which can be accessed at home. User names and passwords have been given to each child in year 2. Please come and see me if you need this information resending.
- PE is on a Wednesday. The children can come to school in their PE kits and trainers. Please ensure your children has a yellow polo shirt, their school jumper/cardigan and navy or black shorts. In cold weather the children may wear dark jogging bottoms.
Please find below the year 2 spelling list which the children need to know how to read and spell.