Welcome to Year 6!
We have had an excellent start to Year 6, our children have adapted well to their new surroundings and routines. We are so proud of them! We are really looking forward to the new school year, we hope to make lots of amazing memories and achieve more than ever before!
Our Class Blog:
A fantastic way to keep in touch with you teachers and class friends!
Our Year 6 team:
Teachers: Miss Bradshaw / Mr Pearce
Support staff: Mrs Burke, Miss McGrath, Miss McDonald
- PE – Our PE day is every Thursday. Children should come into school wearing their PE kit. They will remain in their kit all day.
- Spellings – These will be sent home on a Monday and should be practised throughout the week, ready for the testing on a Friday.
- Snack – Children should bring a ‘healthy’ snack and non-fizzy drink each day for break time.
- Reading books – These should be read at home and returned as regularly as possible.
- Weekly homework will include reading, spellings and maths basic skills.
- SATs – They will commence the week beginning 19th May 2022.
- Robinwood residential trip – This has been provisionally booked for the week beginning 16th May 2022.
- Children will enter school each morning through the ‘Hub’, this should be between 8.50am and 9am. They will leave through the same door but we ask parents to wait at the front of school. Children that walk home alone will be dismissed at 3.05pm and children that are collected will be released between 3.10pm and 3.15pm. Many thanks for your co-operation in this matter.
Miss Bradshaw will teach Maths to both Year 6 classes. We will be learning about number (place value); developing our understanding of the four operations (addition, subtraction, multiplication and division); fractions and geometry- position and direction. We will also practise our arithmetic skills daily.
Our children have their own login to Sats Companion and Times Table Rock Stars, a reminder of these will be sent home.
https://ttrockstars.com/home (use our school postcode L32 9PF)
Mr Pearce will teach English to both Year 6 classes. Our current core text is Shackleton’s Journey. This non-fiction text is about Ernest Shackleton’s attempt to be the first expedition team to cross Antarctica. We will then explore the novel ‘PAX’ by Sara Pennypacker which links to the theme of war.
During the Autumn term we will be learning about light and the classification of living things. Children will have opportunities to take part in some fun scientific activities and experiments.
Come and See:
Our Autumn topics include: Loving, Judaism, Vocation and Commitment, Expectations, Hinduism.
Children will be learning different skills involved with invasion games. Then they will move onto dance and learn a unique routine.
In our topic of Rivers we will be learning about how rivers are formed, the uses of rivers, the impact of damming and researching famous rivers of the world.
The children will be learning about WW2 during the second half of Autumn term. This will go alongside our core text of PAX.
The artist we will be focusing on this term will be Claude Monet. We will be learning all about his painting techniques and unique style, whilst trying hard to apply some of these to our own work.
To celebrate ‘the most wonderful time of the year’ we will be designing and making Christmas Stockings.
Year 6 will explore Virtual Reality (VR) and how it can be used in the classroom. The children will also build their own exciting VR world.
During Autumn term, we will be focusing on our key question – How to keep healthy as we grow? Through this, we will explore the importance of mental health, understanding what this is and how we can best look after it.
Our super Spanish topics include: Presenting myself and Do you have a pet?