Our Class Blog:
A fantastic way to keep in touch with you teachers and class friends!
Home learning ideas
- Google Drive access log in information
- Google Drive Children’s Instructions
- https://www.oxfordowl.co.uk/for-home/find-a-book/library-page it’s access to a free eBooks collection, developed for children aged 3–11 years old.
- Premier League Primary Stars
- ALPSIT Home learning pack
- Life Skills Challenge
- Follow this link for great ways to keep fit and active at home: https://www.getset.co.uk/resources/travel-to-tokyo/indoor-activity
- Resources for parents
Our year 2 team are:
Mrs Reddin ( Class Teacher)
Mrs Westwood ( Teaching Assistant)
Mrs Griffiths (one to one support)
Welcome back to a brand new school year. The children look so smart and are settling well into year 2. We have lots of exciting lessons planned across the curriculum for the next seven weeks. The children are excited to start working hard again.
This half term our core texts is ‘Zeraffa Giraffa’ by Dianne Hofmeyr, which is based on a true story, about the journey of a giraffe from Africa to Paris in 1824. The children will be exploring character descriptions, recounts and newspaper report writing. So far the children have really enjoyed the text.
In maths we will be learning about place value, addition and subtraction and the children will have lots of opportunities to reason and solve problems. We will also be working really hard to practise our 2,5 and 10 times tables.
Come and See
In our Come and See our first topic is all about Beginnings. The children will be reflecting on new beginnings in their lives and how the world began. We will also be learning about signs and symbols and the sacrament of Baptism.
In science we are learning about Uses of everyday materials. We will be learning about the properties of various materials and why these are suitable for certain objects. The children will be taking part in investigations and lots of practical activities.
In geography the children will be learning about Continents and Oceans of the world. They will learn about climate zones, human and physical features and will produce an information poster for a travel brochure about one of the continents.
In music the children will be learning all about rhythm and different types of songs in the unit ‘Hands, Feet and Heart.’ They will learn this song and will also be learning how to play the glockenspiel for part of the song. They will also have the opportunity to perform as a whole class.
In art the children will be learning about collage and the different materials that can be used to add texture to a piece of art work. We will be using the theme ‘Africa’, linked to our core text to explore animal patterns. As a final outcome the children will be producing their own animal designs using different materials to add colour and texture to their work.
In computing we will be learning how to send emails. The children will have a visit from The Knowsley CLC team for a day who will teach them all about sending and receiving emails. The children will also be using the computers to gather research linked to our core text and will have lots of opportunities to practise Mathletics and Times Table Rock Stars.
- Snack is 50p per week
- Reading books are changed on a daily basis. Please ensure you read with your child as often as possible. Year 2 is an important year and their ability to read and understand texts is crucial.
- Homework- handwriting, spellings and times table homework will be given out every Friday to be returned for the following Friday. Please ensure green homework books are returned regularly so new homework can be put into their books ready to go home the following week.
- Every child has a mathletics password and a table rockstars password, which can be accessed at home. User names and passwords have been given to each child in year 2. Please come and see me if you need this information resending.
- PE- PE days are Tuesdays and Thursdays. Please ensure children have their PE kits in on these days.
Please find below the year 2 spelling list which the children need to know how to read and spell.