Welcome to Year 4
We are now into the spring term. I am incredibly proud of all the children in year 4, you have made great progress across the curriculum. Year 4 have adapted well to their new surroundings and routines in school and are continuing to represent our three R’s. This term, we have lots of exciting lessons planned and I am looking forward to making even more amazing memories with you all. Keep up the great work Year 4.
Our Year 4 team:
Teachers: Miss Wynne-Jones
Support staff: Mrs Reid & Mrs Griffiths
- PE – Our PE day is Thursday. Children should come into school wearing their PE kit. They will remain in their kit all day.
- Spellings – These will be sent on a Friday and should be practised throughout the next week ready for the test that following Friday
- Snack –Children should bring a ‘healthy’ snack and non-fizzy drink
- Reading books– Reading books will be re-newed each week and should be returned on Fridays with a comment in the reading log.
- Multiplication table check – The multiplication tables check is an online test for pupils in Year 4. Pupils are asked to answer 25 questions on times tables from 2 to 12. This will take place in June. To prepare children should access TTRS in ‘sound check mode’ as much as possible.
- Times Tables Rockstars– Children have their own log in’s and should access TTRS 2x weekly.
Come and See – In Come and See this term we will be exploring the topics of New Life, Building Bridges and God’s People.
Maths – As mathematicians, we will;
- recognise and write decimal equivalents of any number of tenths or hundreds;
- recognise and write decimal equivalents to , , ;
- round decimals with 1 decimal place to the nearest whole number;
- estimate, compare and calculate different measures, including money in pounds and pence;
- read, write and convert time between analogue and digital 12- and 24-hour clocks; and
- solve problems involving converting from hours to minutes, minutes to seconds, years to months, weeks to days.
English – In English we will be learning to write a persuasive advert based on our core text Flotsam. This is a wonderful wordless picture book, by David Wiesner. Together we will follow the adventures and investigations of a curious little boy, with a seeming passion for science.
Science – As Scientists we will be exploring Living Things and Their Habitats. This topic will require us to leave the classroom and explore our local environment identifying and studying plants and animals in their habitats.
Geography – As Geographers we will be looking at settlements. During this topic we will explore the needs of early settlers, the origins of place names, identify settlements and describe how settlements are connected.