Our Class Blog:
A fantastic way to keep in touch with you teachers and class friends!
Home learning ideas
- Google Drive access log in information
- Google Drive Children’s Instructions
- https://www.oxfordowl.co.uk/for-home/find-a-book/library-page it’s access to a free eBooks collection, developed for children aged 3–11 years old.
- Premier League Primary Stars
- ALPSIT Home learning pack
- Life Skills Challenge
- Follow this link for great ways to keep fit and active at home: https://www.getset.co.uk/resources/travel-to-tokyo/indoor-activity
- Resources for parents
Welcome to Year 5!
Year 5 is a very important year for learning and having fun! I hope to provide as many opportunities and experiences as possible for our children as well as helping them to grow into independent and resilient learners. So far, we have had a busy and brilliant start to Year 5 and lots more to look forward to!
Homework will be given out on Fridays and will be collected in and checked on Wednesdays. Any child who fails to bring their homework in will be expected to complete it during break time. The children are encouraged to take ownership and responsibility for this.
Each child has a reading record book and a school reading book. They are expected to read to an adult at least once a week at home and their reading record has to be signed – this will be checked each Wednesday with the rest of their homework. The children are encouraged to take ownership and responsibility for this.
P.E. is a compulsory part of the curriculum so please ensure your child has full kit – this includes a yellow tshirt, navy or black shorts and black pumps. Our current P.E. days are Mondays and Thursdays. This term we will be promoting physical and mental health and so one of our PE sessions per week is going to be a fitness session which will develop different skills such as flexibility, strength, stamina, technique, control and balance. Likewise, we will be participating in mindfulness sessions in class to help the children develop a sense of calm and control – this will help develop a positive outlook and help readiness to learn.
Each child has their own personal login for Mathletics and Times Tables Rock Stars, which have been sent home. Children are encouraged to access these websites as much as possible as they can earn points for their achievements and progress and will be awarded certificates in assembly accordingly.
Targets for Class 5B:
-Times tables (according to the curriculum, children should know all of their times tables by the end of Year 4 so in Year 5 it is about increasing the speed and accuracy of recalling times tables)
-Handwriting (particularly the size of letters)
-Writing using basic skills accurately (capital letters correctly at the start of sentences or for names and punctuation used when necessary)
Our Curriculum for Autumn:
- Mathematics – Place Value, Addition and Subtraction, Multiplication and Division, Perimeter and Area and Statistics
- English – Cosmic/Varmints/Poetry
- Come and See – Ourselves, Life Choices and Hope
- Science – Earth and Space
- Art – Portraits
- E. – fitness/invasion games
- Music – Livin’ On A Prayer
- Computing – Making Games
Class Teacher – Miss Burns
Teaching Assistant – Mrs Ried
One to one support staff – Mrs Linford and Mr Moorhouse