Welcome to Year 6
Welcome back. We hope you all had a great Christmas and we are looking forward to an exciting year ahead.
Reminders for Spring term (2019)
- Homework will be given out every night to be returned the following day (Monday to Thursday).
- All children are welcome to attend homework club (Monday – Thursday from 3.15 – 4.00pm).
- Spellings will be given out on a Friday to be tested the following Friday.
- Children should be reading regularly at home.
- Our PE day is Friday – PE kit required.
- We are aiming for 100% attendance – if your child is ill and can’t attend school please contact the school office.
- Mathletics – all children have a password for Mathletics and we encourage them to use it outside of school. They can collect points for their efforts and be awarded a certificate in assembly.
- Fast recall of times tables is essential – please encourage your children to learn them.
Come and See – Our topic is ‘Sources’.
English – Our Core Text is ‘A Song from Somewhere Else’. The children will have many writing opportunities in different genres. They will develop their writing skills and apply their learning in a final piece of writing for ‘publishing’.
Reading – Our current class reader is ‘The Island at the end of Everything’. We have guided reading sessions three times per week. Children have a reading record book to record any reading completed at home. They may read their own books, however we ask that children bring their book into school as there may be opportunities for 1:1 reading.
Mathematics – Our learning in maths this term will include: Fractions, Geometry (position and direction), Decimals, percentages and Algebra. Children will complete an arithmetic test weekly, with the aim of beating their personal best score! Our daily arithmetic lessons will address any gaps in their learning.
Geography – Our topic this term is ‘The Amazing Americas’. Our learning enquiry is ‘What are the main differences between North and South America?’
PE – Our topic this term is dance.
Science – Our topic is ‘Living Things and Their Habitats’. The children will learn about classification, life processes and micro-organisms.
Computing / DT-The children have been set an apprentice style challenge to create a piece of wearable technology.
Music – We have KS2 weekly singing practice and our class topic is to learn and perform ‘I’ll be there’ by The Jackson Five.
|Monday 13th May 2019||Grammar and Punctuation test
|Tuesday 14th May 2019||Reading test|
|Wednesday 15th May 2019||Maths paper 1 – Arithmetic
Maths paper 2 – Reasoning
|Thursday||Maths paper 3 – Reasoning|
Thank you to all of our parents that attended our SATs meeting. It is really important that children are all in school – we are aiming for 100% attendance to give the children their best possible chance to achieve their full potential.
We will be testing the children every four weeks to allow us to identify learning needs and prepare them for their actual tests. Interventions will take place throughout this term. If your child has been identified for an intervention please don’t be concerned, again we are giving the children every opportunity to do their best.
Wednesday 6th February – Provisional parents evening (this will be confirmed by letter)
Friday 8th February – Trip to Edge Hill University for Chinese New Year (letters will be sent out nearer the date)
Wednesday 13th February – Young Voices concert (children will be given a letter)